Hi There,

Thank You for visiting my blog. I have moved this blog to a new address http://dattatreysindol.com/. Please visit the blog at new address and re-point your feeds to the new address to continue to receive regular updates.
Thanks,
Dattatrey Sindol (Datta)

Datta's Ramblings on Business Intelligence 'N' Life

Passing Parameters To Report Through URL in SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)

» 23 Nov 2009 | | |

I was working on one of the requirements for a client where in the application owned by the client had a set of values in report column. The requirement was to make each of the values in that column a URL, on clicking this URL the value gets passed as a parameter to another report and the report is rendered without having to manually select/enter the parameter.

I had implemented a similar requirement in SSRS 2005 for one of the previous clients. In this current requirement which I am talking about the implementation was in SSRS 2008, which from this requirement standpoint does not make any difference.

I knew that we need to concatenate the value of the parameter to the URL of the report and this will do the job. So I took the report URL from the Report Manager and tried to concatenate the parameter but ended up in failure.

To resolve this I tried searching the web and found one article (http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1336) which explained about various options/features which can be implemented through the report URL in SSRS.

While going through this post I found one very interesting thing and that is we need to concatenate the parameter value to the Report Server URL of the Report and not the Report Manager URL of the Report.


Many times we end up implementing the things in a straight forward fashion and hence dont come accross this kind of peculiar situations. However sometimes when we try doing the same thing differently, we end up meeting with this kind of peculiar findings which are worth treasuring in ones knowledge base.

Trying to implement something in different ways is worth it since we either end up finding an alternate/better/worst option which can be used to justify the best among the solutions identified or end up finding this kind of scenarios which have only one way to implement.

Happy Reporting :-)

Readers Feedback:
Did you like this article?
If Yes, then please share it:
Did you like my blog?
If Yes, then please help spread the word by sharing this blog with your colleagues, friends, & anyone else in the MSBI Space: Like us on Facebook , Follow us on Twitter .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the Author

Dattatrey Sindol is a BI Tech Lead & a passionate SQL Server Developer in a leading IT company.  read more »
Connect with Datta:

Thank You Visitors!

Hi There, Thanks for Visiting my Blog. Please feel free to leave your Comments/Suggestions about any of my Articles/My Blog.

Do Not Copy this Blog's Content !

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Checker